For those suffering from bunions, the deformities can become increasingly inflamed and irritated as they rub against the inside of your shoes, leading to immense discomfort and pain. Fortunately, several options are available for treating bunions and alleviating the discomfort associated with them. Here at Southern Maine Foot and Ankle in Scarborough and Windham, ME, a plan for treating your bunions can be developed by our podiatrist, Dr. Peter Ocampo.
What Causes Bunions?
A bunion is a bony protrusion on the side of the foot near the joint connecting the big toe to the foot. Bunions can form when the joint slips out of place, causing the big toe to slant toward the other toes. With the big toe out of alignment, the joint protrudes outward along the side of the foot. In this position, the big toe joint is vulnerable to the friction produced when socks and footwear rub against the area throughout the day. When the area is inflamed and irritated, pain and discomfort often follow.
Treatments for Bunions
Here at our offices in Scarborough and Windham, ME, we offer a number of options to treat your bunions, including:
- Removal of calluses or corns on the foot
- Foot exercises to improve joint functioning
- Custom orthotic inserts for the shoes to stabilize the toe joint
- Protective padding that cushions the foot and reduces friction
- Wearing roomier footwear that is less likely to irritate the bunions
- Wearing a splint at night to help realign the toe joint
- Surgical removal of the bunions
Led by your podiatrist, Dr. Ocampo, Southern Maine Foot and Ankle offers a number of bunion treatments to relieve your pain and discomfort. To schedule an appointment at the Scarborough office, dial (207) 883-0865, and for Windham, dial (207) 892-5072.